Wednesday, July 11, 2012

German Idioms: Sausages


I recently discovered that there are a surprising amount of German idioms involving sausages! Well, it’s not really that surprising considering that there are over 1,000 different types of sausages in Germany!

Author - Peng 13:23, 6 August 2007 (UTC)

I just had to walk into my small local supermarket to appreciate the huge variety on offer. In fact the selection of German sausages is so huge that it’s difficult to choose which one to buy, especially when you don’ know the difference between Kochwurst, Rotwurst, Beutelwurst, Rohwurst, Brühwurst, Würstchen, Bochwurst and Frankfurter (now that one I do know!).



Anyway, maybe I’ll do a post about actual sausages once I do my research and try some of them out. In the meantime, here are a few fun sausagey idioms for you.

"In der Not schmeckt die Wurst auch ohne Brot"
In hardship, the sausage is just as delicious without bread

"Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei"
Everything has an end, only sausages have two

"Es geht um die Wurst/Wurscht"
It’s a matter of sausage (do or die)

"Das ist mir wurst"
That's sausage to me (I couldn't care less) 

So, I hope that wasn't all "sausage" to you. This is the end of the post. After all, everything has an end...except sausages, of course!



2 comments: